Search The Web

Thursday, March 17, 2011

While Chasing Classic Cars

While Chasing Classic Cars I was directed to Bob Fry.

I  love to chase classic cars and I was told that if I happened to be in the Oil City, Pennsylvania Area, a must stop was Short Street Motor Cars located at 119 East First Street. It was good advice and  I am passing it on to my readers.

Mr. Fry is not only a purveyor of fine automobiles he is also someone who knows how to preserve pieces of history. 

Short Street


The Garage, an old Quaker State Gas Station, located in the center of Downtown Oil City, has been brought back to life. It is truly beautiful and worthy of a Historical Landmark. Inside is full of automobile memorabilia and Bob has made sure that it is a great place to hang out. Coffee is on, plenty of seating and it has atmosphere that says “sit and let’s talk cars’s.

Mr. Fry’s states “there are many days when that there will be several car nuts hanging around, chewing the fat, and drinking coffee”.  The day I was there was quiet but Mr. Fry was ready to talk cars.

When asked how he came to restore this building, He said “I had been in the car business for 40 years and always thought if that building every comes up for sale I would like to buy it and restore it. Wouldn’t you know when I retired ten days later the building came up for sale, so I bought it”

He took me on a tour. The garage’s 5 pristine bays, had either a car being worked on or a beautiful classic car. He showed 1 MG Midget a Triumph, a yellow 64 Corvette, a 1948 Ford Business Coupe and 69Nova. All of these cars belong in a museum. Then again they were probably right where they belong, in the beautifully restored Quaker State Gas Station.

Bob says he has many other cars in different location and that I can see those and meet all of his Classic Cars friends this summer at his annual downtown Classic Car Party . The party is done in conjunction with Oil City’s Chamber of Commerce Street Party. Bob’s also say there is plenty of good food and drink. See my event listing for date and times. All About Detail.


This was truly an enjoyable visit.  A classic car stop I plan on revisiting. If you happen to be up that way, or just need to go for a ride why not stop in a say hello to Bob. Tell him Larry sent you. 

##########

If you Love Classic Cars like we Love Classic Cars join us at All About Detail.

If you haven't had an opportunity to read our last post:  "Is a  " Dwarf" a Classic?" please do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment